Saturday, October 16, 2021

El Decomprescion

Herb Dyer (mentor, business partner and friend) told me that if I didn't take control of my time, somebody would take control of it for me.  In January, I became the Finance Director for four hospitals in some of the fastest growing areas in one of the fastest growing cities in the US.  Each hospital has unique strategic challenges, and each are operated by leaders (COO, CNO and CMO) with very different styles. 

In any new job I put everything on hold for several months while I work up the learning curve as fast as possible and this was no different.  It took about four months to get the lay of the land, restructure a few things and put out all the fires, all while working through COVID surges and a very memorable winter storm. 

While those fires were still smoldering the company started looking to the horizon and I began developing massive business plans that had systemwide impacts and would change the physical footprint our our network.  I've never worked so hard in my life, nor dedicated so much time (even compared to the Oil and Gas days).  

I blinked...and summer was gone. 

Herb's advice is sound, and while it would be naïve to think I can control 100% of my time, I had to put a flag in the ground and claim some time back.  Hell or high water, I was taking a week off. 

Fast forward, it's cool out and we are all in Detroit about to takeoff on a plane to Mexico.  We came prepared with Peppa Pig downloaded on the phone and tootsie pops in our bags.  Five hard won passports are in a fanny pack and an old Ipod shuffle playing in my ears.  Kim has Hannah, Henry is narrating everything happening outside the window and Amelia is in the front of the plane to get away from...well, us.

It took two days to decompress and disconnect.  In this brief clarity I learned a few things.   

Know Your Why

I was initially really upset that we were staying that the "Royal Princess Hotel", a cruise ship on land who's business is "capture and upsell".  It's damn near impossible to leave the place and they have a monopoly on any excursion you book.  "I came all the way to Mexico to swim in olympic swimming pools and eat at buffets?"


When I stopped being a drama queen I realized we came here to eliminate as many decisions as possible.  Not sure what to eat?  Enjoy the buffet.  Don't want to spend every day worried the kids will drown in the surf?  Enjoy your pool 20ft from your door (with a bar!).  

If we chose a dinner or adventure more complex, we had a rental car.  Some days we drove deep into the interior in search of Cenotes...some days I drank rum and played marco polo all day.  Travelling with kids is tough, and this was how we kept our balance.

Sometimes It's OK to Get Ripped Off

Akumal bay is covered with sea grass growing in 8ft warm water, so naturally it is a favorite for Sea Turtles.  Kim and I have been driving here for years and when we first came you just walked out and swam with the turtles.  The attraction grew and today it is fully “captured” and you will be upsold services at least twenty times before you even touch sand. 

I blew through the unofficial guides waving our car down in a very officially manner, declined another guide who was also looking after the carpark, blew off every bystander walking through town and finally got to the beach, now blocked by a building administering the protected turtle park.  OK, I’m into protecting turtles.  We paid the fee and learned that you cannot swim in protected areas without a certified guide. 


Normally, I would blow through this rule as well and go check out the turtles, but this wasn’t the teachable moment I was looking for.  In the end I paid about $20 for Amelia, Henry and I to swim with massive, beautiful turtles, schools of fish, lobster and squid.  At some point being frugal and “savvy” just makes you bitter and annoying and you just must pony up and enjoy the turtles.

Traveling with Children is Travel 101

I grew up as a non-rev airline kid and eventually married an expat kid before becoming expats ourselves.  We’ve been around, from parties at the Ambassador’s residence representing my company to remote motorcycle adventures through the Andes.  When we go, we get our own car and beat our own path to find the obscure and unknown gems everywhere we travel. 

So…it’s hard, but necessary to dial that back when traveling with kids.  I’m not saying we will go all-inclusive from now on, but they now have context.  Some of Amelia’s best memories were shopping in the local supermarket and walking around town at night.  We have to try different things we’ve previously written off to give the kids space to learn what kind of travel they prefer. 


In the end, eight days in Mexico driving 100km in every direction was one of the best weeks of the year.  We closed on the house from the bar, the kids flexed their Spanish and opened their eyes to all the adventure outside the states and Hannah was happy we are all together as usual.  

But for me, I got to chill out for a bit, get some perspective and claim back some of my precious time. 







No comments: