Monday, June 22, 2015

2015 Texas Water Safari Postponed....Again...

Today I was going to get this blog going so Kim could update during the race as we were finally in the last stretch of preparation.  Then around 5pm today our mentor, Chris Paddack, texted us to say the race was postponed.


Over the last few weeks I've become acutely aware of how dependent I am on people for this seemingly independent endeavor.   The original appeal of this race was that I could rock off in a canoe for three days for some peace and perspective.  But as things evolved I teamed up and trained with a partner, worked with my wife and mother-in-law Team Captains and coordinated with my Dad and Step-mom to take care of the kiddos.

I originally imagined myself tackling the frontier all on my lonesome, but I'm happy that this has turned into this massive logistical challenge that has brought us all a little closer.  Happy that is until they postponed the race from June 13th to June 27th.

The first postponement had us scrambling to change reservations, verify everybody's plans and make a few tweaks on equipment rental.  Dan I think had it the hardest because he is currently in New York with his family and cut the trip short for the race.

Now it's been postponed again due to prolonged flooding, especially down south of Victoria.  I came home after hearing the news to discuss with my primary team captain.

"First order of business: this sucks and I wish we had a beer in the fridge...OK, Dan...call Dan."  Dan had earlier texted me some creative conjugations of swearwords that oddly expressed my feelings perfectly.  He is working with his family to figure out if he can make the new date.  I gave him a rundown of my situation:  Work is the biggest obstacle, will put the change in tomorrow. Ma e-mailed and is still in as co-team captain.  Mary is in, but will need help as Dad is out.

TWS also e-mailed and we have the 27th to make a change to our team if one cannot make it.  More to come.

No comments: