Wednesday, June 24, 2015

Throwing in the Towel



Well Dan never said quit, but I found out he already booked a 3 week family vacation to Cape Code on July 5th so we would have to take time away from that to race.  He's very committed to this race, but for the sake of his marriage I don't think he's coming.

For me I looked at the the new timing and it's really bad for work.  I delegated as much as possible and would have to work through the holiday weekend prior to the race and it was still very tight.  So tight my vacation request was rejected for the first time in 10yrs (with good reason).  I still tried my damnedest to work an angle but there is no way around it.

I talked with Kim for a while last night trying to separate the fatigue from organizing this race from the monetary investment and the dream of finishing it.  We tried to distill it down to the raw reality which is:

-  I'm going to burn some bridges at work if I go.
-  I'll be going alone. 
-  I'll be going in a boat I haven't trained in.

If there is a storm system in the next 2 weeks it will keep the river in flood stage.  The directors cannot maintain insurance if in flood stage so the race will be cancelled.

I feel like I'm 100 feet from the peak of Everest and a storm is coming.  I know the smart decision is to turn back, but I've already come all this way...

I spoke to Dan and we decided to call it quits for the 2015.  I'll still head out to San Marcos and volunteer if possible.  I called Chris Paddack our mentor to break the news and he told me there is a lot to learn watching the elite guys...always positive, always giving advice. 

I thanked him and told him I'd see him on the shore.  

No comments: